Find Me On Facebook

Friday, January 25, 2013

My favorites

Here is a list along with some recipes of my favorite things!

Homemade Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
We have been making our own chocolate syrup because it's organic, not processed, GMO free and has no corn syrup!  It's still junkie but its less junkie then Hershey's version. Here's what you will need 1 1/2c water, 1 1/2c organic sugar, 1c organic cocoa powder, dash of salt, 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract.  Combine water, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a saucepan over low heat.  Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens (it will not be as thick as Hershey's...because there's no corn syrup in it) and simmers.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Serve warm if you like or store in an air tight container in the frig until your ready to use.  I store ours in a reused glass olive jar.  This syrup is awesome on ice cream or makes a mean chocolate milk.  

Rye Triscuit, Matzos, Ak-Mak Crackers, Homemade Cheese Crackers

These crackers are the crackers that we use in our home because they are the lest processed crackers that I've found that come from a box.  I've found ak-mak crackers on iherb.com for only $1.74 a box which is super cheap because here in the grocery store they are $2.99 a box.  If you shop at iherb use the code MTP899 for $10 off $60 or more or $5 off $40 or more plus free shipping!  Matzos whole wheat crackers are found in the Jewish section of your store...I've found that when you stick to traditional foods they tend to be close to real whole foods.  The kool thing about matzo is they come plain so you can bake and season them with whatever you like.  Rye Triscuits I purchase when they go on sale for $2.50 a box or less.  It's not a cracker that I regularly have on hand but we love these rye crackers with cheese on them.  I use a recipe from 100 days of real food to make homemade cheese crackers.  Click here to get the recipe.  Her recipe makes about 2 dozen but I usually end up with more since I cut mine about cheese-it sized crackers.  We love these crackers and they have a great cheese taste that beats that processed orange cheese cracker any day!

Whole Wheat Pita Bread
I love pita bread not only for making egg salad, tuna salad, and tomato/cucumber/carrot/ olive sandwiches but I love to cut these down into wedges brush with extra virgin olive oil and bake them off to make pita chips.  I will never buy pita chips again because these are so much better.  Again you can season as you like with whatever spices you enjoy.  I crush garlic into the olive oil before brushing the bread with the oil and it leaves a nice garlic taste on them.  Pita chips are yummy in hummus or plain too!


Capers and Kalamata Olives
Who knew all the wonderful thing you can do with olives and capers?  We eat olives like crazy in this house and I need a new jar every week!  I put them on salads, sandwiches, or just as snacks.  Lately we have been putting capers on top of fish and baking it in the oven and they complement the fish very well.  

Maple Syrup
If you have not tried real maple syrup you must and I'm not taking the stuff from the store!  I talking about the real maple syrup from Vermont.  I order my syrup from Cabot Hills Maple and the large bottle lasts us a very very long time.  Once your try real maple syrup you'll never go back.  It's a natural sweetener and you don't need very much of it to get the sweetness.

Salad Dressing Mixer


As far as I'm concerned this is the coolest kitchen
tool ever.  These little bottles by Kolder allow you to make 8 different salad dressings that are all real food ingredients.  I purchased mine from amazon and they are about $7!  Here's to no more buying salad dressing!

Oil Sprayer

I love these little oil sprayers because it helps you use less oil and it takes the fake ingredients and highly refined oil in Pam spray out of your diet.  I put EVOO in my sprayer for muffin tins, a quick spray in the skillet, or to spritz on food.

Popsicle Molds

I make all kinds of Popsicles for my kids with these.  For those of you that like to send go-gurt in your kids lunches this is a great product to replace those as well.  Go-gurt is really junkie and unclean but these Norpro ice pop makers make it possible to still have things your kids love! Target.com or Amazon carry these as well if you would like to get some for your kitchen!


2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be getting the oil sprayer and freeze pop holders ty from dee

    ReplyDelete